How to be Successful With Weight Loss by Eliminating Soda
Soda is one of my weakest points. I love the bubbly, the pick me up, and sometimes the taste. I have been able to cut out soda in the past, but it has crept back in a few times. Writing about “How to be Successful with Weight Loss by Eliminating Soda” is even more a “note to self” than to be schooling anyone.
I will share some ideas I have implemented in the past, and what I am doing now.
The bottom line is that soda is poison, with no upsides. . . . and I want to be done.
Here are a few quick facts that will help us get a better picture:
- Research study shows that diet soda can cause a decline in kidney function
- Can cause an increase in risk of diabetes
- Artificial coloring is linked to cancer in many organs, ammonia being one of the ingredients
- Absorption of magnesium is blocked by the caffeine in soda; we need this for detoxification
- Acid found in soda can cause teeth enamel to wear away
- Soda changes our metabolism
- Drinking more than one a day increases our risk for heart disease
- Mold inhibitors in diet soda can increase issues with allergies
- Benzene, a known carcinogen, can be found in sodas (poison)
- . . . . and many more reasons!
From “The Food Revolution” – 22 Ways Drinking Soda is Bad for Your Health
Do you like soda too?
Thinking about the list above of the ingredients and the possible side effects, how does that make you feel? What visions come to mind?
Is the caffeine more important to us to overlook the side effects? Do the positives out weight the negatives? Not on my short list.
Think that diet soda is the better solution? Not so fast . . . the video below tells us why we should reconsider the diet option.
I can totally relate when they talk about how caffeine can be addictive, and that is why we want more! I have heard about some of the side effects of regular and diet soda, but these two videos really make the negative reason to drink it more clear. There are no benefits!
ALTERNATIVE DRINKS TO SODA
I heard Dr. Phil say long ago on Oprah that a good way to break an old habit was to put a new one in it’s place. Just like any void in our lives, if something is empty, most times it will get filled by something.
Why not find a healthy alternative to soda pop?
That’s my mission. To use the new tools and solutions I have to fill the void of the old habit I want to leave behind.
SODA STREAM MAKER
One thing I like about soda pop are the bubbles. I think the first memories I have of bubbles being a comfort for me, was when my mom gave me ginger ale when I had an upset stomach. It was a “treat” on a day that was otherwise not fun. It tasted good and made my tummy feel better.
Is it possible that’s why I turn to it now, as a comfort?
The soda stream maker that my husband got for me, is helpful in keeping me from wanting to leave the house to go get a drink at the store. (Addiction?)
I made the decision a while back that I didn’t want soda kept in the house. I have been trying to break myself of this habit so I can be a better role model for my kids.
There are many flavors that can be added, or you can just drink straight up bubbly. Not only is this a healthier solution, but it saves money too.
I have never been a big tea drinker. I have had both hot and cold tea, but never became a go-to for me. However, by making the decision to give up soda, I am creating a tea station near my office in my home.
I want to make it easy for myself, because if something is complicated in any way, I will eventually avoid it and the new habit is no more.
Tea seems to be a great health alternative, and it is pretty cool to see how many different varieties there are for tea!
MOTIVATIONAL WATER BOTTLES
Having a water bottle full at all times can be helpful when you may want to reach for something else to drink.
What may help even more, is having a cup that you love to use or a motivational water bottle!
I love words of encouragement! These water bottles off that and the ability to measure how much you have drank for the day.
Having a cup in hand, that we can take with us, whether we are at home or out and about, will give us a better chance of success!
PREPARE TO TAP:
- Do you have your rating?
- Get a picture in your mind of the struggle you have with wanting to eat for happy reasons and sad reasons, not because you need fuel. You are disgusted with disappointed with yourself.
- Keep that picture in your mind as you begin, and notice as you go through the sequence where your mind takes you.
- The set-up statement only needs to be said at the beginning of sequence. It doesn’t need to be repeated before each round.
- You can change the wording to fit you better if you choose.
- Here is the link to help you with all the tapping points and the basics.
TAPPING ON “ELIMINATING SODA”
Karate Chop: (Set-up Statement)
- Even though I love drinking soda pop, even though I know it is unhealthy, but I will love and accept myself anyways.
- Even though I like the carbonation and the caffeine picks me up, I love and accept who I am.
- Even though I like drinking soda, but I love and accept myself anyways.
I like the pick me up I get from the soda and caffeine
Side of Eye:
It’s like a treat for me
But I am learning more and more how bad it is for me
I struggle because I feel Like I need it
But I know I won’t get healthy if I keep drinking it
I’m kidding myself to think I can lose weight and keep drinking regular soda
What about diet soda, I wish I could drink it instead
Top of Head:
But the chemicals in diet soda are just as bad
Whether I drink regular or diet soda, both are not healthy for me
Side of Eye:
I want to find an alternative drink that tastes good and picks me up
Something I look forward to and is healthy for me
If I pick drinks that are yummy and healthy I won’t feel deprived
I will feel better than drinking the poison that’s in soda
I am letting go of my soda habit
I am letting go of my soda habit
Top of head:
I am finally letting go of my soda habit.
By eliminating soda from our diet, we will have a much better chance of being successful with weight loss. Keeping the chemicals and sugar out of our body will help us to stabilize our metabolism, help our organs function correctly, and clear our minds.
Keep tapping and before you know it, you will enjoy other drinks and won’t remember why you even liked soda!